OK, here at Starbucks in Chester, NJ, fussing with my Dell Mini's WIFI capability for the first time. Enjoying a hot, triple grande non-fat latte, mmmmm, yummy!
I did not purchase a service provider for wireless internet access when I bought my mini, have a wireless card imbedded in it... betting on free WIFI wherever we go. Thought it would be prudent of me to shake things out before figuring out how to do so in France/Italy!
Well, turns out there are 3 available networks here at Starbucks: an AT&T access point (you have to subscribe and then pay for this access), an 'other' connection that I can't figure out and, the connection I'm using via linksys here in Starbucks - an unsecured public network. Works fine. I also purchased something called WiMAX wireless capability that's supposed to provide me with broader, more flexible connectivity when out and about. Well, so far, I've been out and about twice with my Mini - up by the Canadian border in Champlain, NY, and here in Chester, NJ - and I've yet to find a WiMAX network! Not getting a big, warm, fuzzy on how WiMAX will work in Europe. :-(
I'm not sure where or how prevalent wireless access will be in Europe - aside from any hotels/hostels we may stay at. Man, I have a lot more research/surfing to do on our trip between now and July 17 when we departed Newark for Nice.
More later, out.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment